Search Selected Revolutionary War Websites:

I have a new home! Check it out here:

www.MyCrazyRevWarLife.com

Come see what's new:

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Old Sturbridge Village 2008 - Sunday


Sunday at Old Sturbridge Village was a beautiful day. Apparently it rained buckets and buckets in New Hampshire for pretty much the whole weekend that we were at Sturbridge, but we didn’t have nearly that much rain while we were here. The rain actually held out for us on Sunday until after we were packed up and gone. The only rain we got was the little bit we had on Saturday (which was bad enough).

When I woke up on Sunday morning, I took a stroll down to the local tavern where there were flush toilets and mirrors and soap and running water, all of which I was very grateful to have.



Along the way, I decided to take some pictures of the scenery and the camps of others nearby. One of the first things I ran into was the neatest sleeping set up I have seen to date …



Though I guess they couldn’t all fit in there …



I also stopped to chat with a British gentleman and got some pictures of their area.





After my bathroom run, Kolby, Kris and I headed down to the bank to take some pictures. Kris’ real life job is at a bank, so we thought it would be fun to have one of these printed up for him to have there. We ended up getting some great pictures.







After our morning walk, we headed back to camp for some early morning conversation ….



And some breakfast cooked for us by Lori. She made scrambled eggs, sausage, and some fruit cakes, the really yummy kind, not the weird kind you think of around Christmas time. And we threw in some potatoes left from Glenn’s meal on Saturday.







And you guessed it, it was enjoyed by all! We really do eat well at these events!





After breakfast there was a little bit of free time that was used to play …



Fetch water …



Clean guns …





Make some tape …



Go for a walk in the woods (and get turned around just a bit) …







Visit the blacksmith …





Watch some fencing …



Take a portrait (Thanks Larissa!)



Check out the scenery …



And tune a drum …



After all the morning activities, it was time to get ready for the battle. Before the boys went down to fight, there was a prayer said.



Then it was time to march into position.



Once again I will defer all the good battle details to my hubby, but here are a few pictures and videos I really liked:











Unlike most of our events, we couldn’t leave Sturbridge immediately after the battle. This is because they are a running business that doesn’t close until 5:00. So a bunch of us took the time after the battle to go on a little boat ride. We learned a little more about the history of the area, and it was a nice relaxing time.









Old Sturbridge Village was a very fun event and I am very glad we had the chance to go. If you would like to see all the photos from Sunday please visit my gallery here.

post signature

4 comments:

Hercules Mulligan said...

Hello. I absolutely love the Revolutionary War period, and getting to "meet" a reenactor of that period through a blog is very exciting for me.

Your pictures are terrific! It brings the period vividly back to life. I will come back often. I've linked to your blog on mine, thefoundationforum.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

I am so glad you enjoy my blog. I took a quick peek at your blog, and it is very evident that you have a passion for this time period!! Reenacting is a lot of fun. In reality I did not know much about the time period when I started, which is part of the reason I started the blog to keep track of things I learned along the way. But by reenacting I am really immersing myself in what life was like in those days. There is nothing like it, and really no better history lesson!!

It looks like you have amassed quite a collection of websites relating to the time period, I am sure I will use your website as a resource for future writings on my blog. I very much appreciate you linking to my site as well!!

Please feel free to visit often, I try to write a new post every couple of days or so. And if you ever decide to jump into reenacting yourself, I would be more then happy to help you get started!!

Hercules Mulligan said...

Thanks so much for your kindness, Rachel. I hope we cross trails sometime, and I get to see your group perform. Do you do any reenactments in New York?

I will be sure to look at your blog often, to be sure. I will have to keep my curiosity in check, however, because I currently have several other activities that demand my attention, and leave me little time to update my own blogs.

Until then,
Happy Reenacting!

Rachel said...

We are in fact doing a reenactment at Fort Ticonderoga on September 6th (I will have more detailed posted at the beginning of that week) if you are anywhere near there. We sometimes do other ones in NY, but that's it for us this year. If you can make it out to that one, be sure to ask around for the First NH!!